The effect of modern lifestyles and the environments in which we live and work are causing more and more people to suffer from dry eyes on a daily basis.
Factors contributing to the incidence of dry eyes include:
- Lack of sleep
- Excessive computer use
- Working in air conditioned offices
- Travelling in air conditioned cars, planes and trains
- Living, working, and travelling in centrally heated places with very dry atmospheres
- Spending time outdoors on a hot, dry and sunny day
- Blown air heating in cars and public transport
- The irritating effect on the eyes of urban pollution, diesel exhaust emissions, smoke and dust
- Poor diet lacking in omega-3 fats
- Increased contact lens wear
More about dry eyes
- Medical causes of dry eye syndrome
- Dry eyes through computer use
- Can I be tested for dry eye syndrome?
- Can dry eyes be treated?
- Can moisture chamber glasses relieve dry eyes?