Blepharitis is a common condition that can occur at any age. Symptoms include:
- sore and itchy eyelids which become swollen at the edges
- crusty or greasy eyelashes
- a gritty sensation in your eyes
- increased sensitivity to light (photophobia)
- In most cases both eyes are affected, but one eye can be more affected than the other. The symptoms tend to be worse in the morning.
Blepharitis is frequently associated with skin conditions, such as ocular rosacea, eczema, dandruff and psoriasis.
Blepharitis is usually a long-term condition, which is incurable. Most people experience repeated episodes, separated by symptom-free periods.